Friday, January 6, 2012

"I Have a Dream (It Feels Like Home)" - by The City Harmonic (top 11 of '11 - 6)

There's a reason why I said that there's not necessarily a particular order in my top 11 - I have too hard of a time ranking music... but nonetheless, I will press on...
("I Have a Dream (It Feels Like Home)" - the amazing title track from the album)
The City Harmonic is from Hamilton, On (with one member originally hailing from Texas).  The 4-piece band started in 2009 & were signed to Kingsway Music to release their debut EP, appropriately titled "Introducing The City Harmonic", on November 23rd, 2010.  Within their [so-far] two year existence, they've released a music video that has 1.22 million YouTube hits (linked below), & have already won - in the 2011 GMA Canada Covenant Awards - Recorded Song of the Year (for "Manifesto"); New Artist of the Year; & Modern Worship Song of the Year (also for "Manifesto").  They currently have dates set with the Newsboys for their 'God's Not Dead World Tour' this spring; & singer/pianist Elias Dummer also celebrated the birth of his baby girl yesterday morning.

"I Have a Dream (It Feels Like Home)"* was released on Kingsway Music on October 18th, 2011.  The title obviously inspired from Martin Luther King Jr.'s 1963 speech.  In a blog post, TCH described the song it as such:  -  "In many ways, 'I Have a Dream...' is inspired by this very speech. But with it we seek to communicate a sense of the Christian dream. & so it is also inspired by the Christian story (and, strangely, the Wizard of Oz - a familiar story of a strange world & the longing to awake & find yourself at home)...".  -  They also drew inspiration from Revelation 21; you can read the post here on their website.

When I first heard the title song, I told myself I was going to get the album as a Christmas present for myself (I know, a little greedy, but needless to say...), & when I did: I absolutely loved it.  They kinda picked up from where they left off in their EP, with epic melodies, intelligent & understandable writing, & beautiful melodies & orchestral arrangements.  I look forward to seeing this band in the years to come.
Some other highlights: "Wake Me Up"; "Holy (Wedding Day)", & of course their radio edit of "Manifesto" from their debut EP.

Also: you can download "I Have a Dream (It Feels Like Home)" for FREE from their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/thecityharmonic?sk=app_261137620592117

* - & of course, the iTunes link, if that's your style: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/i-have-dream-it-feels-like/id467729984

No comments:

Post a Comment