Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ballroom Blitz - by Sweet

I came home after picking something up in town, & this song comes on as I pull in the driveway... of course, not while I'm driving where I roll windows down & crank it.  :P
Sweet (also referred to as The Sweet) is from the U.K.  Formed in 1968, they went originally by the name The Sweetshop.  Before signing with EMI’s Parlophone in 1969, they truncated the name to The Sweet.  A lineup change happened in the year following the signing, then they signed to RCA Records – this not after releasing a few unsuccessful singles.  Their first international release came in March 1971 – their single, “Funny Funny”, climbed relatively high in many of the world’s charts.  More singles followed & had varying levels of success, & in 1973, they released what undoubtedly became one of their most recognizable hits: “Ballroom Blitz”, from their LP “Desolation Boulevard” [RCA].  "Ballroom Blitz" spent 25 weeks & reached #5 on Billboard's Top 100, & reached #1 on multiple other charts.  (& for tonight, I’m going to leave it at that ‘cause I’m actually kinda tired & Wikipedia seems to be the only place I can find that has a complete history*).  This song, as mentioned, is from “Desolation Boulevard”.
Original video:
Extended:

No comments:

Post a Comment